(unknown charset) Re: [AMBER] stacking interactions represented by force field equation?

From: (unknown charset) Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.muni.cz>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 19:04:20 +0200 (MEST)

The T-shape in benzene dimer (and similar compounds in protein structures)
is a consequence of quadrupole - quadrupole long-range electrostatics of
benzene dimer. Benzene rings have zero molecular dipole
and large quadrupole. This electrostatics does not like the undisplaced
stack. It prefers either the T-shape or parallel-displaced, under the vdW
- electrostatics compensation. Classic (original) papers are e.g.,

POTENTIAL-ENERGY SURFACE OF THE BENZENE DIMER - AB INITIO
THEORETICAL-STUDY HOBZA, P; SELZLE, HL; SCHLAG, EW, JACS, 116, 3500-3506,
1994
STRUCTURE AND PROPERTIES OF BENZENE-CONTAINING MOLECULAR CLUSTERS -
NONEMPIRICAL AB-INITIO CALCULATIONS AND EXPERIMENTS By: HOBZA, P; SELZLE,
HL; SCHLAG, EW CHEM. REV., 94, 1767-1785, 1994

Nucleobases have dipolar ESP, so they prefer various variants of flat
stacking, depending on whether these are homodimers (face to back is not
the same as face to face stacking) or heterodimers

Nature of nucleic acid-base stacking: Nonempirical ab initio and empirical
potential characterization of 10 stacked base dimers. Comparison of
stacked and H-bonded base pairs Sponer, J; Leszczynski, J; Hobza, P J PHYS
CHEM, 100, 5590-5596, 1996
Structure, energetics, and dynamics of the nucleic acid base pairs:
Nonempirical ab initio calculations
By: Hobza, P; Sponer, J CHEM REV, 99, 3247-3276, 1999

It all is explainable/describable by ESP-based electrostatics + van der
Waals MM interactions in the first approximation to a reasonable extent.

That is why in proteins we have T-shapes and so-called cation-pi
arrangements while these are absent in nucleic acids (cations interact
with base edges, mainly lone pair regions and not with nucleobase rings,
the ion position above the nucleobase ring is intrinsically unstable). I
think in the Biopolymers 2013 minireview I have discussed many of these
differences.
Nature and Magnitude of Aromatic Base Stacking in DNA and RNA: Quantum
Chemistry, Molecular Mechanics, and Experiment, BIOPOLYMERS, 99, 978-988,
2013

Obviously, there are many finer effects modulating the simple description
which lead to certain deviations for the simplest MM. For example, the r^-12
term of the LJ potential deviates from the supposed to be exponential
exchange-repulsion (and also charge penetration, this short-range part of
QM electrostatics is included effectively in the LJ term of MM.). These
sometimes lead, e.g., to wrong apparent "atom radii", excessive steric
clashes, etc. When trying to capture details you would obviously need to go to
finer details of the QM theory of intermolecular forces, concerning atom
radii we have for example this recent paper on lone-pair pi stacking.
Atoms are not constant-radius spheres.

Short but Weak: The Z-DNA Lone-Pair center dot center dot center dot pi
Conundrum Challenges Standard Carbon Van der Waals Radii Kruse et al.
ANGEW CHEM-INT. EDITION , 59, 16553-16560, 2020

Some systematic QM vs MM component analysis is e.g. here,
  Large-scale compensation of errors in pairwise-additive empirical force
fields: comparison of AMBER intermolecular terms with rigorous DFT-SAPT
calculations Zgarbova et al. PHYS. CHEM. CHEM. PHYS.12, 10476-10493,
2010:

Of course, there are other minor-to-moderate deviationsn, including also
  some non-additivity in stacking, etc., etc.

In summary, there are some nonsystematic deviations between MM and
rigorous QM PESs, but not fundamental ones. Thus, in the first approximation to a
reasonable extent, these "aromatic stacking" systems can be quite well
described by the standard MM AMBER approximation with no need to any
special "pi-pi" terms. The QM-MM(LJ+ESP charges) diferential PESs show no
visible "pi-pi" effects.
Errors in the intrinsic description of H-bonds are inevitably larger than
for stacking, as polarization and already orbital effects (there is no
clear border between these two, it is definition-dependent) start to play
a bigger role.

Best wishes, Jiri

>>> Martin