Re: [AMBER] Questions about QM/MM simulations

From: Goetz, Andreas <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 04:40:35 +0000

Dear Fangma Ma,

It is difficult to help without having more details on how you performed the simulations and how your results for the two simulations in gas phase differ. What I can say is this:

1) In gas phase, I assume this is a full QM calculation (no MM atoms). In this case the MM parameters including charges do not matter. You must get the same results if you change the force field parameters and then repeat the same simulation.

2) In bulk solvent, if you get different results when adding counter ions, it is possible that the ions are in vicinity of your charged reactants and have a significant effect on the reaction. In this case it would be expected to observe a difference. This is something that you should be able to judge.

The force field charges on atoms in your QM regions do not have any effect on the simulation, unles you choose to use mechanical embedding in a QM/MM simulation. But this is not the case in the input file that you shared.

All the best,
Andy

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
Assistant Research Scientist