Re: [AMBER] Release of AmberTools21

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:26:27 -0400

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021, Gustaf Olsson wrote:

>Against advice on the install page I went with gfortran10 because I was curious.
>
> Apple clang version 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.29)
> GNU Fortran (Homebrew GCC 10.2.0_4) 10.2.0
> Open MPI 4.1.1
> Xcode Version 12.4 (12D4e)
> macOS Catalina version 10.15.7
> 2,5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

Your experience is in accord with ours. I didn't want to make the
installation page too complex, but here is what I think is the case:

* gfortran10 from either macports or homebrew is fine
* gfortran10 from github.com/xcoudert is fine *if* you have Xcode version 12.4
     or below
* gfortran10 from github.com/xcoudert fails for users that have upgraded
     Xcode to version 12.5 :-(

We should update the InstMacOS page some, to provide more information,
especially for users that already have macports or homebrew installed. They
can easily get cmake and gfortran from their package manager. The current
instructions are intended to be the simplest steps for other users.

...thanks for the info....dac