Re: [AMBER] Adventures installing AMBER 20 in Centos 7

From: Kevin Keane <kkeane.sandiego.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 20:27:55 -0700

I had the same experience. There are two main problems with the OpenMPI
version included in CentOS 7 and 8:

- The version is positively ancient, and long out of support.
- The version is compiled without support for most of the usual schedulers.
In most environments, that makes the OpenMPI from the distribution useless.

To resolve that, you will need to download a supported version (currently,
3.1, 4.0 or 4.1) of OpenMPI as source tarball. Then install the correct dev
RPMs for the resource manager you are using (such as slurm, torque or the
like).

Current versions of OpenMPI include a spec file to build RPMs. You will
need to apply some tweaks to compile in the appropriate scheduler support.

Hint: I found that building a virtual machine as a compile environment with
the exactly right libraries etc. installed works wonders. I use vagrant for
that purpose.

Once this process is finished, you will have an RPM that you can distribute
to the HPC.

Hint 2: if you can, don't try to get several OpenMPI versions to coexist.
It is possible, but not quite trivial to do.

Kevin Keane | Systems Architect | University of San Diego ITS |
kkeane.sandiego.edu

*Pronouns: he/him/his*Maher Hall, 162 |5998 Alcalá Park | San Diego, CA
92110-2492 | 619.260.6859 | Text: 760-721-8339

*REMEMBER! **No one from IT at USD will ever ask to confirm or supply your
password*.
These messages are an attempt to steal your username and password. Please
do not reply to, click the links within, or open the attachments of these
messages. Delete them!