Re: [AMBER] Add molecule to prmtop/inpcrd ?

From: Gustavo Seabra <gustavo.seabra.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 15:29:17 -0400

Hi all,

Thanks a lot Dan and Matias for their answers. The problem really is more
complicated than one would initially imagine. I believe I've found a way
that seems to work for me, and mostly skipped LEaP. so far, the files are
woring and the simulation is running fine.

For anyone interested, here's how I made it work:

1. Use Antechamber / parmchk2 to create parameters for the ligand. I use
two steps because I want to have a PDB file with Sybyl atom types as well:

$ antechamber -i ligand.pdb -fi pdb -o ligand.sybyl.mol2 -fo mol2 -at sybyl
$ antechamber -i ligand.sybyl.mol2 -fi mol2 -o ligand.gaff2.mol2 -fo mol2
-at gaff2 -c bcc
$ parmchk2 -i ligand.gaff.mol2 -f mol2 -s gaff2 -o ligand.frcmod

2. Use LEaP to create parm7/rst7 files for the ligand alone:

*$ cat leap.in <http://leap.in>*
source leaprc.gaff2
loadamberparams ligand.frcmod
LIG = loadmol2 ligand.gaff2.mol2
saveamberparm LIG ligand.parm7 ligand.rst7
quit

3. Use ParmEd to combine the topologies and restart files. For that, I used
a python script as follows:

*$ cat combine.py*
import parmed as pmd
parm1 = pmd.load_file('ligand.parm7','ligand.rst7')
parm2 = pmd.load_file('protein.parm7','protein.rst7')

# Combine the two files. Note the ligand comes first, which (IMHO) is better
# than having it after all else.The downside is that the new combined parm
# does not have a bounding box, which is needed for the simulation.
comb = parm1 + parm2

# This puts a bounding box in the new parm. We basically
# just copy the bounding box from the first protein system:
comb.box = parm2.get_box()[0]

# Now, simply adding the ligand makes it overlap with waters that were there
# before. This strips only the waters that collide with the ligand:
comb.strip(":LIG(<:1.0&:WAT)")

# Finally, save the files:
comb.save('protein-ligand.parm7')
comb.save('protein-ligand.ncrst',format='ncrst')
comb.save('protein-ligand.pdb'

I looked at the structures in VMD (to load parm7/ncrst), and they seem to
have the correct bonds. The simulation is running fine (so far...)

Thanks a lot!
--
Gustavo Seabra.