Re: [AMBER] Antechamber vs R.E.D. Server

From: Dr. Anselm Horn <anselm.horn.fau.de>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 10:49:33 +0100

Dear Sam,

there is AFAIK a publication describing the RED server with the method
of using different, but standardized molecule orientations in space for
ESP calculation. There exist 'old' publications stating the problem of
the orientation-dependence of ESP-derived atomic charges. This, together
with the possibility to provide your RED server input as supplement to
your work would enhance reproducibility.
The 'validity' would be that the RED server approach tries to compensate
the orientation depencence by using different, but defined orientations
for ESP calculation and then compute the mean. Thus, you'd have 'valid'
ESP-derived atomic charges for a given molecular conformation, a given
charge method, and a given QM compute engine (incl. basis set and
QM-method), defining 'valid' as orientational less dependent.

Howver, you can of course obtain a similar level of reproducibility
doing everything by hand and locally, which may be more comfortable in
some cases - I mentioned the external dependency. Additionally, I'm not
sure, how well RED server can deal with the systems you are interested
in, i..e. organometallic species. Since the server also provides
automatic atom type recognition and makes suggestions for the (missing)
force field parameters, this could be helpful in one case, and
distracting in the other.

Thus, the decision is still up to you.

But I hope, my comments helped a bit.

Best regards,