Re: [AMBER] TI electrostatic free energy]

From: Franz Waibl <Franz.Waibl.uibk.ac.at>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2020 16:24:44 +0100

Dear Dr. Case,

This might be a very helpful comment, even though I don't yet fully
understand it...

It was my understanding that the internal energy contributions of the
"vanishing" state (TI region 1) would automatically be kept regardless
of lambda, since this is also done in the 1-step transform using
Softcore potentials, and since it seems to be a reasonable thing to do.

However, your comment suggests that this is not the case, and that I
need to run a separate TI calculation in the gas phase. Is this correct?
Furthermore, I now realized that the coordinates of TI region 1 and 2
are exactly equal, so there is never any sampling of the decoupled
state, which could explain why Amber behaves different here.

If this is correct so far, could you please clarify the following:

* How does Amber decide whether a TI region will be "decoupled" or
removed, i.e., whether the internal energy of that region contributes to
dV/dlambda? I found a notice in the Section of the Manual about Softcore
potentials which states that atoms are "decoupled", but is this only
true when using Softcore potentials?

* If I need to account for the gas phase ensemble myself, how should
this be done? Can i just subtract the according energy contributions
from the gti_output table, or do I need gas-phase TI calculations? (I
expect conformational sampling of the gas phase to be rather irrelevant
in my case, since all of my molecules are rather rigid.) In the latter
case, is it important to use the same periodic box, or is it better to
run non-periodic simulations?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best regards,

Franz Waibl