[AMBER] Fwd: System blows up when simulating under npt

From: Amit Sharma (Asstt. Prof., MCARS) <"Amit>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 22:45:47 +0530

Dear Carlos,

Thanks for suggesting Dan Roe's protocol. I will try that. But, for now I
equilibrated the dark state system (2v1a) exactly as per the method
described in your paper. What I find is, water and ions still move a quite
away from the protein during equilibration and the overall system has
expanded a lot in volume. Although the production MD seems to be going
fine, the issue now is that a 4ns simulation ( nstlim = 1000000, dt =
0.004) is running for about 20 mins on the GPU. Whereas, the light state
system with the same size (2v1b, in which the system didn't expand much
during equilibration) took only 2 mins for a 4ns production run.

Kindly let me know if this expansion (and the corresponding slow down) is a
usual thing to happen with the dark system. If not, can you please suggest
what measures I might have missed which make my run slower.

Thanks,

Amit

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 8:50 PM Carlos Simmerling <
carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 7:41 AM Carlos Simmerling
> > <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > it's quite different equilibration from what we used. I don't know if
> the
> > > problems you are seeing are due to that, but since the 2v1b works and
> > 2v1a
> > > does not, it suggests that it might be due to equilibration. When using
> > > 2v1a as the initial structure, you are far from equilibrium at the
> start
> > > and need to slowly adjust to introducing the new bond and adjusting to
> > new
> > > geometries in the flavin, etc. In my experience the GPU code can run
> into
> > > trouble if the system is at all unstable. You might try tracking your
> > > energies and other properties from the mdout files and see if they have
> > > reached a plateau before going to the next step, your MD stages are
> > fairly
> > > short.
> > > Here is what we used that worked well for us:
> > >
> > > Minimization and equilibration were carried out using Amber version
> > > 16.(39,40) Initial minimization was performed for 100 000 steps with
> > > restraints on all atoms except hydrogens, water, C450, and the flavin.
> > The
> > > restraint force constant was 100 kcal·mol–1·Å–2. Next, the system was
> > > heated from 100 to 298 K over 1 ns in the NVT ensemble, with a time
> step
> > of
> > > 1 fs and SHAKE on all bonds including hydrogen. A nonbonded cutoff of
> 8 Å
> > > was used, with long-range electrostatics included by the particle mesh
> > > Ewald method.(41) The same restraints were maintained. Temperature was
> > > maintained using a Langevin thermostat with γ set to 1.0. Next,
> pressure
> > > and density were relaxed using 1 ns NPT simulation at 298 K with a
> strong
> > > pressure coupling constant of 0.1 and all other parameters maintained
> > from
> > > the prior step. Next, 1 ns MD was performed using the same protocol but
> > > with restraint force constant reduced to 10.0 and pressure coupling
> > > constant increased to 0.5. Next, minimization was performed for 10000
> > steps
> > > after removing all restraints except those on protein backbone CA, N,
> > and C
> > > atoms, and no restraints on C450. Next, 1 ns MD in the NPT ensemble at
> > 298
> > > K was performed using the same protocol as above, with restraints only
> on
> > > backbone CA, N, and C atoms excepting C450. The restraint force
> constant
> > > was then reduced from 10.0 to 1.0 and an additional 1 ns MD was carried
> > > out, followed by 1 ns MD with restraint force constant reduced to 0.1.
> > > Finally, 1 ns of fully unrestrained MD was performed with NPT at 298 K.

_
_
*Please consider the environment before printing this email.*
The
information contained in this electronic message and any *attachments to