Re: [AMBER] System blows up when simulating under npt

From: Amit Sharma (Asstt. Prof., MCARS) <"Amit>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2020 17:14:21 +0530

I tried simulation using 2v1b (crystal structure in photoexcited state). It
works fine in that case and is currently running at 2 micro second.

My equilibration protocol is as follows

1. 3000 cycle minimization under 100 kcal mol-1 A-2 restraint on the protein
2. 5000 cycle minimization under 25 kcal mol-1 A-2 restraint on the protein
3. 100000 cycle minimization without any restraints
4. 20ps md at nvt where system was heated from 0 to 300K, with 10 kcal
mol-1 A-2 restraint on the protein, 2fs time step by keeping SHAKE on. cut
of 10 A
5. 80ps md at nvt at 300 K, with 0.5 kcal mol-1 A-2 restraint on the
protein, 2fs time step by keeping SHAKE on. cut of 10 A

System remains fine until step 5, but blows when I start (using gpu) ntp
(ntb = 2, pressure 1atm, ntp = 1) at 300K.

When doing the same using cpu, it seems fine at least for initial 100ps.
But, issue is that I cannot go on cpu for the simulation where a few micro
second run is needed before we could actually see J alpha unfolding.

In your paper you retain the crystallographic water and use four point opc
water. But, what I am using is tip3p. Can that make a difference?

Amit

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 4:40 PM Carlos Simmerling <
carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you tried the simulation without adding the adduct? Also you didn't
> describe your equilibration protocol. I believe the one we used should be
> described in our paper on that system. Dan Roe also has a nice paper on
> equilibration.
> Carlos
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020, 6:05 AM Amit Sharma (Asstt. Prof., MCARS) <
> asharma4.jmi.ac.in> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I trying to simulate protein having of FMN Cys adduct.
> >
> > When running md using nvt and positional restraints of 0.5 kcal mol-1 A-2
> > on the protein, the system remains fine.
> >
> > But as I switch to npt and remove all the restraints system blows up and
> > water molecules start flying away.
> >
> > Error message is as follows:
> >
> > "ERROR: Calculation halted. Periodic box dimensions have changed too
> much
> > from their initial values.
> > Your system density has likely changed by a large amount, probably from
> > starting the simulation from a structure a long way from equilibrium.
> >
> > [Although this error can also occur if the simulation has blown up for
> > some reason]
> >
> > The GPU code does not automatically reorganize grid cells and thus you
> > will need to restart the calculation from the previous restart file.
> > This will generate new grid cells and allow the calculation to
> continue.
> > It may be necessary to repeat this restarting multiple times if your
> > system
> > is a long way from an equilibrated density.
> >
> > Alternatively you can run with the CPU code until the density has
> > converged
> > and then switch back to the GPU code."
> >
> > Can anyone suggest how to deal with this?
> >
> > Thank You,
> >
> > Amit
> >
> > --
> > _
> > _
> >

> > *Please consider the environment before printing this email.*
> > The
> > information contained in this electronic message and any *attachments to
> > this message are intended for the exclusive use of addressee(s) and may
> > contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are
> > not
> > the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute **or copy
> > this e-mail. Please notify the
> > sender immediately and destroy all copies of
> > this message and any attachments.***
> > **
> > **WARNING***: The recipient should
> > check this email and any attachments for
> > the presence of viruses. JMI
> > accepts no liability for any damage caused by any
> > virus transmitted by this
> > email.*

_
_