Re: [AMBER] Amber 20 on AMD ryzen + Nvidia 30XX

From: Raman Preet Singh <ramanpreetsingh.hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 07:20:57 +0000

We have two workstations with octa core Ryzen processors. One workstation has a single NVIDIA GPU while the second has 3 NVIDIA GPUs. They seemed to work very well initially (8 CPU Ryzen cores + 1 GPU performance was higher than a 32 cores of Xeon E5 v2 processor processor for NAMD) but after a few months started hanging and showing a decrease in performance (but still better than 32 core Xeon E5 v2). This is the issue with both workstations after around 6-10 months. We often run simulations for several days at a stretch as required for typical MD simulations. I typically use Amber tools for analysis and Gromacs or NAMD for MD as we don't have Amber license.

Since you are looking at a relatively higher end processor family (Threadripper), things might work well. But do look at reviews on major online stores or post on Quora or Tom's. I have read reviews where AMD processors show problems due to heating but those not frequent reviews as people are content with low cost of AMD processors.

Regards,
Raman