Re: [AMBER] Adding Ions

From: Gustaf Olsson <gustaf.olsson.lnu.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 12:26:56 +0000

I just noticed that while adding “CL” neutralised the charge just fine, however there are seemingly two “default” options, CL and Cl-.

Looking at these options it seems that CL would be “atom” and Cl- “anion”. However, the only example i found for addIons with chloride in the manual used “CL”, making it less likely that this would be the "bonded” state, assuming the “atom” state would be unreasonable. Reusing this option also neutralised the charge.

Am I safe to assume that using “Cl-" would be more appropriate choice with “addIons” (is there any difference)? In that case the remaining issues with reading back a PDB file stems from “packmol” residue numbering and all “problems” have been solved.

Looking at the 3.6 Ions section, is there any reason to source modifications for use with OPC (or TIP3P/ SPC-E for that matter).

For leaper.water.opc:
    Monovalent ion parameters for Ewald and TIP4P/EW water from Joung & Cheatham JPCB (2008)
    Reading force field modification type file (frcmod)
    Reading title:
    Li/Merz ion parameters of divalent to tetravalent ions for TIP4P/EW water model (12-6 normal usage set)

Though according to the manual:
    Two sets of 12-6 LJ parameters for OPC water model (the 12-6 IOD set and the 12-6 HFE set) for 3 monovalent ions (Na+, K+, Cl-) have been developed…

These are not loaded, instead what is described in the manual:
    Based on our limited experience, it appears that the Joung/Cheatham ion parameters for TIP4P-EW may be acceptable

Can one safely assume that the parameters loaded with leaper.water.opc/spce/tip3p are reasonable with regard to Cl-?

Best regards
// Gustaf