Re: [AMBER] xleap

From: Bill Ross <ross.cgl.ucsf.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 01:34:57 -0700

> It would be nice with a rewrite of xleap to a more up-to-date cross-platform gui option.

On the first Amber web site, I was bemused to see that xleap's graphics
library, Xraw (an improvement on Athena widgets) was downloaded at least
10's of thousands of times, way more I'd bet than the cumulative users
of Amber til now (it was free and general-purpose, and Amber itself cost
something, but who knew Xraw'd be so popular). Having traveled to Moscow
in the early 90's to contract Vladimir Romanovski, the author, I feel
uniquely qualified to retract my long-ago suggestion to redo it in Java,
since python is more universal among scientists these days.

If its functions were API'd along the way, the functionality could spread.

Bill