Re: [AMBER] Questions (and a small bug report) about SIRAH in Amber

From: Matias Machado <mmachado.pasteur.edu.uy>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 12:27:43 -0300 (UYT)

Dear Charo,

Some of this questions are answered in the SIRAH FAQs (check the web under menu "TUTORIALS", or in the package at sirah.amber/tutorial/SIRAH_FAQs.pdf)

You can equilibrate in NVT or NPT... the reason for choosing the later rather than the former is due to the initial solvent density of the box... be aware that using small pre-equilibrated solvent boxes to solvate the whole system is a fast but not perfect method... indeed, owing to the algorithm to add water constituents and PBC conditions, several molecules are removed from both the surface of the solute and the image boundaries... that leads to a decrease in the expected water density for any computational box... that issue is magnified in case of coarse-grained system as removing one molecule implies removing a lot of water... hence, we equilibrate in NPT to fix that issue, otherwise you will see vacuum bubbles during equilibration, which may o may not affect your system at production...

Regarding thermostats...

The parameters for the Langevin thermostat are optimized for SIRAH and its integration time step, take into account that other "common" values are for all-atoms and not coarse-graned. We can't grant you the same results if you play with that...

The same goes for V-rescale, I don't know which values are you using or why you prefer this thermostat over the other... We haven't tested it yet, because it's new in AMBER, but in any case, I would start by using the same values we use in GROMACS simulations... those are tau_t = 1.0 for equilibration and 2.0 for production...

Regarding the softness of the equilibration protocol...

That may certainly depend on the system... the step-wise protocol provided by us was proved to work in many systems, however it's not perfect and neither is SIRAH... so it isn't unlike to fail...

Best,

Matias