[AMBER] Install broke and compilation fails

From: Gustaf Olsson <gustaf.olsson.lnu.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2020 13:58:10 +0000

I tried to launch cpptraj today receiving this error

cpptraj
dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/9/libgfortran.5.dylib
  Referenced from: /Users/guolaa/SOFTWARE/amber18/bin/cpptraj
  Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

The reason seems pretty straight forward, the brew version of gcc has been updated to gcc10, hence gcc9 is not present or available.

Now, as I don’t have a licence for Amber20 I have been using AmberTools19 and Amber18. The problem now being that I cannot compile amber anymore.

    $ export AMBERHOME=“/path/to/amber18"
    $ ./configure -macAcelerate clang

Works just fine, installing updates and dependencies. Then the build fails… I cannot say for sure though this breaks during something with “arpack” which seems somewhat similar to be the problem I had with the gnu gcc version >7 when building on centOS as well.

[ARPACK] FC dnaitr.f
dnaitr.f:658:35:

  376 | call dvout (logfil, 1, rnorm, ndigit,
      | 2
  658 | call dvout (logfil, 2, xtemp, ndigit,
      | 1
Error: Rank mismatch between actual argument at (1) and actual argument at (2) (scalar and rank-1)
dnaitr.f:729:39:

  376 | call dvout (logfil, 1, rnorm, ndigit,
      | 2
  729 | call dvout (logfil, 2, xtemp, ndigit,
      | 1
Error: Rank mismatch between actual argument at (1) and actual argument at (2) (scalar and rank-1)
make[2]: *** [dnaitr.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [utils] Error 2
make: *** [install] Error 2

As the ability to use straight gnu gcc compilers from home-brew on mac has been proven to be “challenging”, I cannot build using just the gnu gcc compilers. Even if I can make the gcc7 compilers my system defaults, the build process of amber still calls “Xcode” which then causes the build to come to a complete stop. It also seems that the gcc10 fortran is not compatible with either amber18/ambertools19 or the macOS gcc (clang) compiler.

Any suggestions on how to solve this would be appreciated. I am currently trying to recompile the AT20 package though I am now unable to build using openmpi because of some problem.

Best regards
// Gustaf