Re: [AMBER] paramfit - negative energy for 1 of the 2 term

From: Robin Betz <robin.robinbetz.com>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 14:51:02 -0700

Hi Erdem,

Dihedral potentials are a periodic function-- a sum of sine waves. The K
parameter controls the amplitude of the wave, but changing its sign is
equivalent to shifting the phase of the wave by 180 degrees. So, negative
potentials from paramfit *for dihedral terms only* are fine. If you don't
like the negative number, you can set the phase to 0 and it's the same
potential. Look at the AMBER equation or plot the potential function for
your dihedral of interest and it should make more sense.

Hope this helps,
Robin