Re: [AMBER] can i analysis number of water molecules in protein by watershell

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 12:20:05 -0400

Hi,

Short answer is unfortunately no. The 'watershell' command (or really
any other command in cpptraj) doesn't have a concept of "inside" a
protein. It works by counting waters that are within certain distance
cutoffs from each atom. I suppose if your protein were roughly
spherical you could pick 1 atom or residue near the center of the
protein, choose a short first cutoff, then a second cutoff that's
roughly the radius of your protein, but that seems pretty problematic.
Would be interesting in the future to implement a command with concept
of "inside" a protein, but I don't see myself getting to it anytime
soon unfortunately...

-Dan