Re: [AMBER] can i analysis number of water molecules in protein by watershell

From: Wesley Michael Botello-Smith <wmsmith.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 09:39:46 -0700

If you are using pytraj, you could make use of the scipy.spatial.Delaunay
to compute a convex hull for the protein. With a bit of legwork, you can
use the result as a way to test which waters are inside or outside of that
hull.
It could also work well with volume map based approach as well.
I've seen a handful of specialized analysis programs that take this kind of
approach to define binding pockets and solvent channels. E.g. CASTp
http://sts.bioe.uic.edu/castp/background.html and MOLE2
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765717/ although there are
literally dozens of others.
Many seem to work either on a grid / voxel approach, or a
vornoi tesselation / delaunay triangulation approach, or some combination
of the two.