Re: [AMBER] tleap/xleap performance enhancement

From: Matias Machado <mmachado.pasteur.edu.uy>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2020 12:35:05 -0300 (UYT)

Dear Himanshu,

Dealing with huge systems is a challenging issue I would like to address as well...

These are some tips that may help (or may not)...

1) "The most time consuming process is when it prints "Starting new chain with *segname*". Will it help if we somehow disable the print commands."

+++ To avoid this behaviour remove SEGID field from your input PDB. I'm not a developer, but leap seems to process that field for some reason, however the generated topology is identical with or without SEGID.

+++ In addition, you can also save "some" I/O processing time by redirecting the standard output to a file or /dev/null, e.g.:

tleap -f input &> /dev/null ;# avoid using xleap (GUI), rendering to x11 may be time consuming.

+++ You can avoid creating a log file by commenting/removing the following line from cmd files "leaprc.protein.ff14SB" and "leaprc.DNA.bsc1"

logFile leap.log

2) "the tleap proceeding becomes even slower as the time proceeds"

+++ This smells to me a memory (RAM) issue or a nested loop issue...

3) "I stripped hydrogen and kept only oxygen atoms in the pdb file before loading"

+++ I see no gain in removing hydrogen atoms from water molecules, in doing so you are just vanishing the hydrogen-bond network, hence, which is the advantage of using a pre-equilibrated solvent?

4) "leap takes ~1 hour to read the pdb and create the prmtop and inpcrd"

+++ I strongly recommend you to use NetCDF format for coordinates, which is unrestricted to system size, lighter, more efficient and accurate for computing than inpcrd (ASCII), in particular for such huge system you are building...

Best,

Matias

PhD.
Researcher at Biomolecular Simulations Lab.
Institut Pasteur de Montevideo | Uruguay
[http://pasteur.uy/en/labs/biomolecular-simulations-laboratory]
[http://www.sirahff.com]