Re: [AMBER] RDF: corrupted trajectory

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2020 13:47:57 -0500

Hi,

This error could be innocuous, or it could be a problem. The issue is
that the ASCII trajectory format doesn't store how many atoms or
frames it has, so cpptraj tries to guess based on the expected
trajectory size (calculated from the number of atoms in the topology,
the size of the title, whether REMD lines are present etc). There can
be a few reasons why this fails:

1) Most common: you are providing a topology with a different number
of atoms than was used to generate the trajectory. Double check that
the topology used in the simulation that generated the trajectory is
the one you are using. This can also happen if you e.g. load a
stripped trajectory with the original topology etc.
2) Somewhat common: your simulation crashed and the trajectory
contains an incomplete frame. In this case cpptraj will read all of
the "good" frames. If the corrupted frame is in the middle of the
trajectory somehow this is bad and will fail. You should run the
'check' command on this trajectory to make sure things look ok.
3) Uncommon: Somehow you got some extra bytes in the file, maybe an
extra newline at the end? This can happen if e.g. you opened up the
trajectory in a text editor and accidentally hit "enter" or something.

Note that all of these become a non-issue if you use the default
netcdf trajectory format.

-Dan