Re: [AMBER] Conformation of NEB end states changing during 1HEAT

From: Madhur Aggarwal <madhur.aggarwal.research.iiit.ac.in>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 08:15:46 +0000

.Carlos<mailto:carlos.simmerling.gmail.com> No, I just minimized the end states before using them for 1HEAT step of NEB.

.Delaram, I understand now .. my system was blowing up with skmin, skmax=10, which I could prevent by using skmin,skmax=1.

The above 2 points were related to the discussion we were having earlier, for my system in implicit solvent. Now, I would like to share my observations on my system in explicit solvent.

  1. I see the system blows up if skmin!=skmax .. meaning, it works fine even when I use skmin,skmax=50, but fails if I use skmin=10 and skmax=20 (works fine when skmin,skmax=10).
  2. If I use ntc,ntf=2 (SHAKE=on), my end states move and the energy change is significant (attached shake_on.1heat.in, shake_on.neb.out.000) (this is irrespective of the timestep I use .. I tried with dt=0.5fs, 1fs and 2fs). By looking at this, I am not able to agree with what you said .Delaram .. the reason is if I go ahead with this and perform all the steps as mentioned in the NEB tutorial, I will end up having an MEP in which the intermediate states have lower energies as compared to the end states! (attached mep.png). The energy change in the first loop of MD may be insignificant in case of implicit solvent and may not affect the calculations, but it surely does in case of explicit solvent.

For your reference, I have also attached the mdin and mdout files (shake_off.1heat.in, shake_off.neb.out.000) of 1HEAT step when I use ntc,ntf=1 (SHAKE=off) in case of explicit solvent.

Madhur Aggarwal