Re: [AMBER] cpptraj rms with different pdb

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 13:58:30 -0400

Hi,

So just looking at your reference (ref.pdb) and your input trajectory
(trajin_all.nc), it seems like you didn't strip the reference
properly. I'm attaching a picture showing your reference in blue and
your trajectory in orange. Your trajectory consists of a continuous
hairpin while your reference seems to have part of a hairpin and then
some other disconnected fragments. It's not surprising that the
coordinate RMSD between these structures would be large.

It may be easier for you to just specify the reference separately,
then use 2 masks in your 'rms' command to specify the target and
reference regions. Remember, the # of atoms and the atom ordering need
to match. So it would look something like this.

# Load reference
parm refparm.parm7
reference refcoord.rst7 parmindex 0
# Load target trajectory
parm tgtparm.parm7
trajin tgtraj.nc parmindex 1
rms reference <target mask> <reference mask> out rmsd.dat

The 'select', 'atoms', 'resinfo' etc commands can be very useful for
looking at what mask expressions will actually select. Here's some
input I used to compare the residues in your two stripped topologies:

parm parm1.prmtop
parm parm2.prmtop
resinfo parm parm1.prmtop out parm1.residues
resinfo parm parm2.prmtop out parm2.residues
quit

You can then 'diff' or 'meld' the two files.

Hope this helps,

-Dan