Re: [AMBER] Specifying size of truncated octahedron box manually

From: Matias Machado <mmachado.pasteur.edu.uy>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:32:20 -0300 (UYT)

Dear Andrew,

That's a tricky question indeed!...

The problem is the box's geometry, if it was cubic then you could use command "setbox"... however, tleap doesn't have a function to set an octahedral box from a PDB which already has one... I think (IMHO) that's a pitfall in the AMBER's pipeline... cause you can generate an octahedral box but can't correctly reload it by the same program which made it...

Using Packmol won't solve the problem because this type of box is not yet supported... still the problem is more complicated than that, cause the orientation of the box may depend on the way it was generated (e.g. by truncating a cube)... just to give you an example, GROMACS and AMBER default octahedral boxes have a different rotation in space which impact not just on the code performance but on the correct setup of PBC conditions, hence you can't pick a box from one MD engine and plug it into another right away... well, at least not an octahedral one...

Anyway, I'll give you some workaround that may work... this is the idea...

0) Let assume you have a PDB of your protein ("protein.pdb")

1) Create a big enough octahedral solvent box with just water ("waterbox.pdb"), save it in PDB format and AMBER old format (you'll see why later).
    In that way you make sure the size and orientation of the box are the right ones. You can use the same box for both folded an unfolded conformations.

  # Example tleap commands
  # Notice: ff14SB is required to load atom type parameters for TIP3P
  # Ideally they should be loaded by leaprc.water.* but they aren't...
    source leaprc.protein.ff14SB
    source leaprc.water.tip3p
    waterbox = createunit waterbox
    solvateoct waterbox TIP3PBOX 40
    savepdb waterbox waterbox.pdb
    saveAmberParm waterbox waterbox.prmtop waterbox.rst7
    quit

2) Merge your "protein.pdb" and "waterbox.pdb" files into a unique "protein_wat.pdb", remove overlaping water molecules (e.g. by using VMD)... You may need to work a bit to centre the protein...

3a) Reload the system "protein_wat.pdb" in tleap and use command "setbox" to set the box, yes i will set a cubic box but we'll fix it later...
3b) If you need to add ions then use command "addIonsRand" instead of "addIons" to place them within the actual water box.
3c) Save the ".pmtop" and ".ncrst" files

  # Example tleap commands
  # Notice I'm reloading waterbox.pdb as a prof of concept you should use protein_wat.pdb
    source leaprc.protein.ff14SB
    source leaprc.water.tip3p
    sys = loadpdb waterbox.pdb
    setbox sys centers
    saveAmberParmNetcdf sys protein_wat.prmtop protein_wat.ncrst

3d) You can check the periodic conditions in VMD to see the problem
    vmd protein_wat.prmtop protein_wat.ncrst

4) Fix the box!
    Get the dimensions of your original waterbox.

    tail -n1 waterbox.rst7 ;# there should be a better (fancy) way to do it... my just lazy at this point...

    Then use commands "center" and "box" of cpptraj to change the box paramenters according to your original octahedral waterbox:

    cpptraj -p protein_wat.prmtop -y protein_wat.ncrst

    center
    box x 80.8660254 y 80.8660254 z 80.8660254 truncoct
    trajout protein_wat_OK.ncrst
    go
    quit

5) Enjoy!

   You can load the system in VMD and check the periodic conditions:

   vmd protein_wat.prmtop protein_wat_OK.ncrst

Hope this help...

Best,

Matias

PhD.
Researcher at Biomolecular Simulations Lab.
Institut Pasteur de Montevideo | Uruguay
[http://pasteur.uy/en/labs/biomolecular-simulations-laboratory]
[http://www.sirahff.com]