Re: [AMBER] How to calculate the tilt angle of TM helix

From: Maria Bzówka <m.bzowka.tunnelinggroup.pl>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 10:57:36 +0200

Thank you all for your suggestions.

First, I decided to proceed with Dan's script. After some modifications it
looks like that:
parm x.parm7
trajin x.nc
vector VA ^1:;4,5,6.N,CA,C ^1:;25,26,27.N,CA,C
vector VM principal Z :POPC
vectormath vec1 VM vec2 VA out vector.agr name AngleA dotangle

These commands work, but I'm pretty sure that the results are not correct -
what I mean - in my output file the angle values range between 85 and 125
and based on the visual inspection of helix behaviour (as well as some
previous studies of the systems similar to mine) it is way too much.

I've also tried to use 'vector VA principal ^1' command for VA, but it
resulted in even higher tilt angles and additionally, within a few frames,
the values changed drastically (example below):
#frame #angle
12.000 118.6092
    13.000 19.5291
    14.000 109.5863
    15.000 63.3221
    16.000 104.9826
    17.000 67.5767

Can I ask for some additional suggestions?

Thank you

Maria