Re: [AMBER] memtestG80 alternative ? - testing actual GPUs regarding soft errors

From: Marek Maly <marek.maly.ujep.cz>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 10:41:13 +0200

Hi Ross,

thank you for prompt comment !

of course I know that Amber can be used to detect soft errors, but I'm not
sure if this could be a sufficient reason to acknowledge a video card
warranty claim. We are currently buying several RTX 2080 Ti. I always
used sentences like this, in HW specifications: " The GPUs will be used
for numerical calculations an so also "soft errors" proven by e.g.
memtestG80 or other analogous generally accepted test SW will be the
reason for complaint and request for card replacement" . In the past (ca 5
years ago), thanks to the memtestG80 results, I succeeded in claiming two
GPUs. I'm not sure if I would succeed if I used arguments based on results
of AMBER tests, but hopefully yes, because it seems that probably no
successor of memtestG80 exists.

BTW, can you, eventually confirm (if you know), that the memtestG80 is
really not compatible with gddr5 or later ? I know, this question I
should address to memtestG80 developers and I will try.

  Thanks,

   Best wishes,

     Marek