Re: [AMBER] Potential bug in sander/LMOD

From: Charles Lin <Charles.lin.silicontx.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2019 19:05:50 +0000

So I looked into this, but I'm not familiar with sander so I don't really know the details of what's going on.

The run_lmod command calls lmodC which later calls a gradient descent that does the sander force call.

In general the bug seems like it stems from an mpi communication issue within the lmodC library ($AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/sff/lmodC.c) where the single mpi broadcast of the random seed doesn't work. If you comment out this broadcast the code seems to work fine.

My initial thought which I may be wrong is that the lmodC library actual runs serially, as what comes out of it is essentially a set of coordinates to be used in a force calculation, if that is the case then syncing up the random seed probably isn't important as the force calculation does a broadcast of all the forces (since AMBER in general doesn't do domain decomposition and has a replicated data approach to comm).

If someone more experienced in how sander works wants to look into it that'd be great.

-Charlie