Re: [AMBER] is this reference energy dG ~34 kcal/mol reasonable for acetic acid?

From: Cruzeiro,Vinicius Wilian D <vwcruzeiro.ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 20:00:31 +0000

Hello Zimin,

Correct, only the relative reference energies matter. Thus, the reference energies could be any values, as long as the differences between them are the same. Each titratable residue has its own set of reference energy values (both pH- or redox-active residues): one reference energy per protonation or redox state. The procedure to obtain reference energies for redox-active residues is the same as for pH-active residues: assuming you have two states (oxidized and reduced) you may fix the reference energy as 0 for one of the states, and then fit the other value based on the standard redox potential value for the reference compound (for more details see https://aip.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1063/1.5027379 ).

Even though there is an expression for the redox potential in terms of the concentration of e- (see the paragraph between equations 1 and 2 of the paper above), equivalent to the pH expression as a function of H+, the redox potential value you consider in the simulations can be shifted according to a given reference. As long as you use the same reference during the reference energy calculations and during the production simulation afterward (for all redox-active titratable residues in your simulation), then you are fine. In the paper mentioned, the reference used for the redox potential was vs. NHE, however, any other could have been chosen.

Please let me know if you have any questions further,
All the best,

Vinícius Wilian D. Cruzeiro

PhD Candidate
Department of Chemistry, Physical Chemistry Division
University of Florida, United States