Re: [AMBER] Calculated dipole moment in AMBER

From: Xiaocong Wang <wangxiaocong.outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 01:45:15 +0000

Thank you very much!

Dividing by 0.2082 is correct.

Best regards,

Xiao

________________________________
From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 3, 2019 2:52:13 AM
To: AMBER Mailing List
Subject: Re: [AMBER] Calculated dipole moment in AMBER

Hi,

> I read one post, which says the unit for dipole moment calculated from AMBER cpptraj is not Debye(D). And, the code for calculating dipole moment may be out-dated.

CPPTRAJ (like the rest of Amber) uses the AKMA unit system, so charge
is in electrons and length is in Angstroms, meaning the dipole is in
units of e * Ang; you'll have to convert to get to Debye (I believe
the conversion is dividing by ~ 0.2082 but you should double check).

The output format of 'dipole' command is outdated - the 'vector
dipole' code is fine.

-Dan