Re: [AMBER] pi-pi And Aromatic Interactions

From: Carlos Simmerling <carlos.simmerling.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:03:26 -0400

I think that might be true if it were only vdw, but don't forget that these
atoms have partial charges and the rings have quadrupoles. The inner parts
of the ring are substantially negative compared to the outer edge atoms (eg
for a benzene or Phe). The indeed gives a favorable cation-pi interaction,
and will influence relative energies of T vs stacked geometries. Of course
the level of accuracy is open to debate, but the terms aren't completely
absent.