Re: [AMBER] Soft-core alchemical transformation in TI

From: <accuratefreeenergy.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 08:49:47 -0400

Hi Simon,

        Here are our answers:

>So, I only have to set the timask and scmask on the atoms as in the tutorial? All atoms present in timask while not in scmask
>will be transformed without soft-core potential automatically?

        Yes. All atoms in timask but not in scmask will be treated as common atoms, provided that each common atom can find its partner atom and all common atom pairs have the same coordinates (up to 0.1 A tolerance).

>Second, I already simulated methanol solvated without the topology of ethanol. If I want to keep the coordinate and *velocity*
>for a new TI, how should I prepare the files? The tutorial is preparing benzene and phenol from a pdb file.
>Can I skip it by giving a rst file with coordinate and velocity information?

        You could do that but not just directly using a methanol restart file. The restart file only contains methanol coordinates. You need a restart files containing both methanol and ethanol coordinates--although they could be the same. You might use the tiMerge utility (manual page 275) in the ParmED module (manual page 252) to merge a methanol restart file w/ an ethanol restart file. It takes some time to learn how to use it but it will be very useful if you want to TI/FEP/MBAR calculations often.

Taisung & Dave