Re: [AMBER] translational diffusion coefficient from MSD

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 12:42:23 -0400

Hi,

I think the issue here is that you just do not have enough sampling.
The Einstein relation is:

2*N*D = lim{t->inf}( <MSD> / t)

The key is that this holds true as 't' approaches infinity. The reason
relatively short simulations are sufficient for calculating the
translational diffusion of e.g. water is that you typically have a lot
of them (maybe tens of thousands), and they tend to travel a lot
compared to other molecules in a system (like e.g. solute or lipids).
Over the course of a simulation, all the water may travel on average
an order of magnitude farther than other molecules. In contrast,
because you typically have fewer solute atoms (in your case I'm
guessing maybe 300ish?) and they aren't moving around as quickly you
have much less idea about the overall diffusive behavior over the same
time scale. To convince yourself of this, you can calculate the
diffusion of all the water in your system and compare that to
calculating the diffusion of just a handful of water molecules (or
even just 1). The MSD vs time for all the water should look nice and
nearly straight, while the MSD vs time for the smaller number of
waters should look more rough (and more like the plot you show).

So to summarize, you need to run longer. Also, if you are in fact
calculating diffusion of lipids in a bilayer (seems like too few
molecules here, but just in case) there are some extra considerations
(like box size effects) - see e.g.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acs.jpcb.6b09111 and related
work. Hope this helps,

-Dan