Re: [AMBER] A question about force-field parameters for organic compounds related to the purchase of AMBER-Certified EXXACT machine

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2018 13:02:23 -0400

Hi Jing,

I'll add to what Dave says in that if you can build a PSF file (Charmm style) then you could also convert that to a prmtop and inpcrd to run with AMBER using parmed that comes with AmberTools.

That said I 'think' OPLS3 is encrypted so you don't know what the underlying parameters are and thus it will only work in Desmond - I could be wrong though. On the other hand I'd be very wary of using a force field that you can't see the parameters for an so are unable to reproduce the results in other packages so you might be better with GAFF.

Either way as Dave says the process is highly automated and easy to use. You can either use GAFF plus an AMBER protein force field like FF14SB and/or a lipid force field like Lipid17 - or you can use a Charmm variant create a PSF file (either with Charmm or VMD for example) and then convert that to AMBER format input files with Parmed.

Good luck,

All the best
Ross