Re: [AMBER] QM/MM-MD charges

From: Goetz, Andreas <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 19:34:34 +0000

Dear Abhishek,

If you are using semiempirical QM or DFTB, you can print Mulliken charges during the QM/MM MD simulation or geometry optimization. If you use an external QM code, you have to perform some sort of population analysis (e.g. NBO or QTAIM) on relevant snapshots. For this purpose you can modify the input files that the sander QM/MM interface writes when executing the external QM code (e.g. gau_job.inp for Gaussian etc).

Whether a given popoulation or charge analysis is meaningful to describe the charge on part of your QM region (e.g. nucleophile) is a different question. You will find many examples in the literature that can help making a good decision.

All the best,
Andy

Dr. Andreas W. Goetz
Assistant Research Scientist
San Diego Supercomputer Center
Tel: +1-858-822-4771
Email: agoetz.sdsc.edu<mailto:agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Web: www.awgoetz.de<http://www.awgoetz.de>