Re: [AMBER] Temperature-Based Replica Exchange: Number of Replicas

From: Chris Neale <candrewn.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 20:40:58 -0600

I use this one: http://origami.phys.rpi.edu/racc/rate_of_acceptance.php but
the page seems to be down.

This one is simpler: http://folding.bmc.uu.se/remd/

I agree with Vinicius that you’re going to need a lot of replicas, but it’s
not necessarily hopeless. You might need 150 replicas to go from 310 K to
450 K. There are groups that could handle that nowadays. And, depending on
what you are doing, you might not need to go up to 450 K.

I’ve played around with the REST/REST2 HREX approach and unfortunately it’s
a bust for folding proteins. You can either get good replica mobility
across the ladder and not good sampling enhancement at the low lambda value
(REST2) or you can get poor replica mobility across the ladder and good
sampling enhancement at low lambda (REST). I’ve looked for intermediates
but so far with no great success. I’d not waste your time on it unless you
can find a paper that at once shows good replica mobility across the entire
ladder and good sampling enhancement at low lambda (and if you do find such
a paper, I’d be keen to see it please).

The big problem is that AMBER is not going to let you do pressure coupling
with REMD. The code modification to add the pV term is actually quite
simple, but the issue is then that the domain decomposition grid does not
get re-initialized periodically and a replica starting at high temperature
and going to low temperature needs to have grids rebuilt but they are not
so the run will crash.