Re: [AMBER] Temperature-Based Replica Exchange: Number of Replicas

From: Cruzeiro,Vinicius Wilian D <vwcruzeiro.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 23:37:47 +0000

Hello Jason,

The number of replicas required to cover a given temperature range increases with the total number of atoms. Therefore, for a system as large as yours (and mainly in explicit solvent) T-REMD becomes impractical because the number of replicas required for a reasonable exchange rate would have to be very large.

In order to check if a given distribution of temperatures is good, you can run a short simulation and check your rem.log file.

I have seen publications in which people use Hamiltonian-REMD instead of T-REMD for large system in order to have a good and efficient temperature sampling. I know they scale the Hamiltonian of each replica to a different effective temperature in order to mimic what happens in T-REMD and good exchange rates are obtained and with a reasonable number of replicas. I have never done calculations like this before though, therefore I don’t know the technical details.

Best,

Vinícius Wilian D Cruzeiro

PhD Candidate
Department of Chemistry, Physical Chemistry Division
University of Florida, United States

Voice: +1(352)846-1633<tel:+1(352)846-1633>