[AMBER] Ion dissociation computed by umbrella sampling

From: Veronika Jurásková <veronika.juraskova.email.cz>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 11:21:52 +0100 (CET)

Dear Amber list,

I have a question concerning QM/MM umbrella sampling. I would like to
simulate ion dissociation in a system made of small organic molecule and
anion in organic solvent. In the system I assume weak interaction between
anion and molecule. I chose axis y as a reaction coordinate for the
dissociation. In the simulation, I use harmonic distance restraint between
the anion and COM of two atoms in molecule. Problem is, that during the
simulation, the anion is moving not only in the y direction but also
perpendicularly to the plane of molecule. Is this behavior correct when I am
interested in the dissociation curve? Or do I need to use another restraint
e.g. for torsion angles? I am not sure, how additional restraints can
influence the computed energy.  I also tried fxyz = 0,1,0 but I didn't do
what I wanted.

Thank you for the reply,

Veronika