Re: [AMBER] icc version 17

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 09:42:42 -0400

Hi,

I'd also like to say that I *strongly* recommend GNU compilers for use
with the CUDA code. I have seen issues crop up with Intel+CUDA that do
not happen with GNU+CUDA. Specifically, when performing GPU validation
of pmemd.cuda via multiple long-time (~24 hour) runs on GPUs I have
gotten 2 different final energy values with Intel compilers (i.e. out
of 10 runs some will end up with one value and some with another one),
but the same exact value each time with GNU compilers. This is with
the same exact hardware, Amber version, etc - only difference is
compilers. I suspect it has something to do with overly-aggressive
optimization on the Intel side but haven't dug too deeply.

-Dan

PS - IMHO Intel compilers are still better for CPU-only runs.