Re: [AMBER] Which Linux distro for Amber16?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 00:28:19 -0400

To expand on the post that Hai quoted, that advice was largely aimed at
answering the question of "what distro should I use for a cluster"? The
answer for a workstation will often be different.

My advice, choose the newest *stable* version (or perhaps the newest
long-term maintained stable version) of whatever distro you pick.

The best distro to pick is the one that you are most familiar with and like
the best.

For example, for me that's Gentoo. For someone that's not very experienced
(and comfortable) with Linux, Gentoo is a bad choice.

If you're not familiar with any distros, there are several easy distros to
choose from (and any of them should run Amber fine). Ubuntu is usually a
good choice for beginning with Linux, as is Fedora. Another thing to take
into consideration is how much expert help you have around you. If other
colleagues or support personnel use a specific distro and are willing to
help you, I'd recommend asking their advice (and valuing it more than what
you hear here).

HTH,
Jason