Re: [AMBER] reference or custom GPUs?

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 17:50:10 -0400

Short answer, In my experience: NO! Stick with the Founders edition.

The custom cards tend to have fancy looking heatsinks which do not work well in multi-GPU configurations, have many more failure points and are often engineered for looks ahead of function and longevity. The exception to this would be water cooled systems.

The custom cards also tend to be overclocked - especially the memory - and this leads to incorrect results, unstable behavior and/or early failure.

Now if you want to play Crysis at 4K in stereo at 120FPS then by all means go for the luminous blue overclocked card.

All the best
Ross