Re: [AMBER] intra-residue water bridge with cpptraj

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 09:00:04 -0400

Hi,

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 4:17 AM, Joanna Sarzynska <asias.ibch.poznan.pl> wrote:

> I understand that water molecule was hydrogen bonded simultaneously to
> three atoms: OP2_34 OP2_67 (protonoacceptors) and HN1_81 atom
> (protonodonor) over 2822 frames.

This is correct. The way that cpptraj detects a water bridge is that
during the solute-solvent hydrogen bond calculation, for each water
involved in a hydrogen bond the atoms (or residues) that it is bonded
to are recorded. So for 2822 frames there was a single water that was
simultaneously hydrogen bonded to OP2_24, OP2_67, and HN1_81. Note
that this does not necessarily need to be the same water for each
frame.

> But it is not clear for me why water molecule made hydrogen bond between
> OP2_34 and HN1_81 atoms only over 2032 frames. Does it mean that water
> molecule was hydrogen bonded to OP2_34 and HN1_81 over 2822+2032 frames?

Exactly. The same is true for OP2_67 and HN1_81 (2822+1670).
Technically it is possible that while all three are bound, HN1_81 and
OP2_34 are also bound to a second water. However, it is highly
unlikely that this occurs since this would be extremely crowded. So I
think your interpretation is correct.

-Dan

PS - At some point I plan on added time series data for bridges which
would make this more apparent. It's on my to-do list.