Re: [AMBER] GPUs parallel problem

From: Gulsevin,Alican <agulsevin.chem.ufl.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 09:29:26 +0000

I guess the short answer is "you don't". Apart from what Andreas sent, I have two GTX-1070 GPUs and the best parallelization performance I could achieve so far was 30% performance for the second card. Benchmarks at the Amber website suggest a similar picture:

http://ambermd.org/gpus/benchmarks.htm

In addition to software limitations, by running four GPUs at once you're likely to fry your machine (assuming all the cards are on a single unit) due to excessive amounts of heat generated, or surpass power supply capacity. For a membrane protein system, 2 GPUs were enough to cause our unit to shut down, although it might not be the case necessarily for everyone.

Best,
Alican