Re: [AMBER] restarting Amber calculations gives abnormal structures

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:57:01 -0400

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:30 PM, Chris Neale <candrewn.gmail.com> wrote:
> If the issue is simply PBC wrapping during the run then that sounds like
> something that should get fixed in the code at some point, esp given that
> it's called a "restart" file.

An internal solution here is not so simple. I don't see an easy way
you could have the code realize that your system has been imaged with
respect to the reference you've given it. I guess you could have it
detect a very large restraint energy and then do the equivalent of
'autoimage' to the coordinates and see if that helps, but that's a lot
of code duplication and may not always be the correct thing to do. The
solution may be to make sander/pmemd output a more informative error
message when restraints and iwrap are on.

Another alternative is when using positional restraints turn iwrap off
and use netcdf trajectories and restarts. However, in my opinion the
easiest thing to do is make sure you autoimage your restarts when
using position restraints.

-Dan