Re: [AMBER] TIP4P-Ew vs TIP3 vs TIP5

From: Saeed Izadi <izadi.vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:17:45 -0800

 I don’t have a negative atittude against 4-site models, in fact I am a fan
of them (especially the more recent ones). 4-site models are designed to be
more accurate than 3-site models in bulk properties and electrostatics,
however since protein force field parameters are historically optimized
against TIP3P, in many cases the use of TIP3P in biomolecular simulations
still leads to more realistic results, even though TIP3P is really bad in
bulk properties. That said, there are still many cases where the benefit of
a more accurate water model outweighs the benefit of using a water model
which is more compatible with the current force fields: for example, when
the extended structure or partially unfolded parts in structures are of
interest, the energy costs due to solvent-solvent interactions become
significantly more important than the case where a compact structure is
being studied. Therefore, a water model which may be more accurate in
representing bulk properties should be more suitable for simulating
extended structures such as intrinsically disordered proteins or RNAs which
are floppy and extended.. so at the moment, using the current force fields,
the choice of water model really depends on the structure you are
interested to simulate (maybe TIP3P for compact states and recent 4-site
models for extended states)..this might change if the future force fields
be parametrized using more accurate water models.. A safer bet at the
moment might be to run one simulation using TIP3P and one using one of the
recent 4-site models to see if you get any difference..

best,
Saeed