Re: [AMBER] TIP4P-Ew vs TIP3 vs TIP5

From: DmitrySuplatov <genesup.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:13:35 +0300

Dear Saeed,

thank you for the detailed comments.

My specific situation is that I want to simulate conformational
rearrangements in protein structures (e.g. movement of loops) in water
at 300K on a microsecond scale (500 - 1000 ns) using classical MD. I
expect that some conformational rearrangements should happen but do not
want to accelerate them by increasing the temperature, so instead I
calculate longer trajectories.

 From your reply I conclude that TIP3P "... may slightly speedup the
conformational sampling ..." - so this is exactly what I need, right?
However in the previous sentence you say that "...TIP3P seems to over
stabilize...the native state" which seems to contradict with the first
statement...

I am also confused about your overall negative attitude towards the
4-site waters. My naive expectation was that 4-site models should
generally be always better that 3-site models and thus worth the
processing overhead. Otherwise, why would anybody use them, right?

If TIP4P-Ew model is so bad than why was it used in [Shaw D. E. et.al.
Science 2010 , 330, 341] and also in this Amber tutorial -
http://ambermd.org/tutorials/advanced/tutorial22/ ???

Finally, is there some general guideline on how-to choose a water model
for a particular task.

Thank you for your time.

Dmitry