Re: [AMBER] RMSD for two different MDs

From: David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 16:46:32 -0500

Haining, you'll need to decide what atoms of your ligands are truly
correspondent, first. Having ligands that are similar doesn't guarantee
you an rmsd--for practical purposes in cpptraj, ligand RMSD is defined for
structures with identical compositions. After you have the list of
equivalent atoms, you'll need to ask yourself what reference frame you
want. Do you just care about the overall shape of the ligand (if you have
two big and floppy ligands, I can see some value in this)? If that's the
case, then the reference frame is something defined for the ligands
only--you align one ligand to the other by the equivalent atoms you have
chosen, for each frame of the trajectory, find the best superposition you
can get, then add up the squared distances between the pairs of equivalent
atoms and take the square root of the sum (root mean squared deviation).
Or, do you want to know where the two ligands sit relative to one another
in the reference frame of the receptor protein (this may be more up your
alley)? If that's the case, then for each frame of the simulation, you
need to define the protein and ligand as a single rigid body, align the
protein (backbone) atoms, and then compute the RMSD for ligand equivalent
atoms. cpptraj has some things to do this (see rmsd2, for example), but
again you need to take care of the ligand non-congruence first.

I'd recommend the following:
- Decide on your equivalent atoms
- Print your trajectories in .crd format
- Write a homemade python script to dissect the list of coordinates
    - Rearrange, clip, or add zeros to the second trajectory as necessary
to get all of the coordinates in the second trajectory to line up in order
with the first, so that equivalent atoms appear in the same order.
    - Read both trajectories according to the topology of the first--you'd
get horrible energies for he second trajectory but that's not what cpptraj
cares about.
    - Use cpptraj features to give you the rmsd you seek.

HTH,

Dave