Re: [AMBER] RMSD for two different MDs

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 08:34:07 -0500

Hi,

Since you want to compare two different ligands to each other, you'll
need a common reference structure (as Dave Cerutti suggested). This
could be e.g. the conformation of one of the ligands in a crystal
structure, etc. Then what I would do for each trajectory is first
rms-fit the protein, then take the no-fit RMSD of the ligand atoms you
have in common. So say for example your protein is residues 1 to 56,
your first ligand is phenylalanine, and your second ligand is
tyrosine. The atoms in common are everything except OH and HH for Tyr
and HZ for PHE. Your input could be something like:

parm Protein-Tyr.parm7
reference Protein-Tyr.crystal.pdb parm Protein-Tyr.parm7
trajin Protein-Tyr.nc parm Protein-Tyr.parm7
# Fit the protein to reference
rms reference :1-56
# No-fit RMSD of common Tyr ligand atoms
rms Tyr reference nofit :57&!.OH,HH,HZ out rmsd.agr
# First pass
run
# Clear first trajectory
clear trajin
# Load second topology and trajectory
parm Protein-Phe.parm7
trajin Protein-Phe.nc parm Protein-Phe.parm7
# Again fit protein to reference
rms reference :1-56
# No-fit RMSD of common Phe ligand atoms
rms Phe reference nofit :57&!.OH,HH,HZ out rmsd.agr
# Second pass
run

Depending on what atoms are actually in common you may need or want to
specify a second mask to RMSD to specify what atoms in the reference
should match up to target. The 'select' command can be useful in
diagnosing issues with atom selection. Hope this helps,

-Dan