Re: [AMBER] Can we combine amber and gaff atom types?

From: Aditya G Rao <aditya.grao.mail.huji.ac.il>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2016 18:39:58 +0200

Dear Carlos and David,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and the explanation!

.David: What exactly do you mean by, " As needed you may distribute the
excess charge this imparts to the sulfur and the first carbon on the
pyrrole to get the net charge back to (-1)"?

Thanks in advance!
Aditya

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM, David Cerutti <dscerutti.gmail.com> wrote:

> ^ Agree with Carlos, the interface between parameter sets should be
> minimal. This is what I was getting at further down in my novella--take
> ff14sb atom types for everything up to perhaps the sulfur on the side
> chain. Now if we can retain the charges up to CB (type 2C) we can ensure
> that the ff14sb backbone behavior (which is where the most effort has been
> done) stays put. That's what we can focus on now. First, reference
> amino12.lib in the $AMBERHOME/dat/leap/lib directory and mirror the charges
> for ACE, NME, and the modified CYS up through CB. As needed you may
> distribute the excess charge this imparts to the sulfur and the first
> carbon on the pyrrole to get the net charge back to (-1).
>
> To get the best parameters for ff14sb you will need to refit charges on the
> pyrrole group and sulfur while retaining the other charges that correspond
> to atoms ff14sb does describe. I wouldn't recommend trying to map the
> pyrrole atom types to ff14sb equivalents: that thing has chemical groups
> that aren't in proteins, which puts you in a different ball park. As soon
> as you need new atom types, they might as well be called "plain", salted",
> and " honey roasted," so the goal here is to invest an appropriate amount
> of effort to make something compatible with the rest of your protein. The
> central dogma of ff14sb is "Hartree Fock 6-31g* charges, with bonded
> parameters to mimic a vacuum phase MP2 / cc-pvTZ potential energy surface"
> and that's what we'll do.
>
> One thing I didn't realize when I first replied is that your modified amino
> acid is BIG. The first capability we need is to be able to make plausible
> conformations of your nonstandard residue. Cysteine covalently bonded to
> not just one ring system but a macrocycle of four! This is going to create
> a challenge, but what it means is that you may want to trim away the excess
> before trying new parameter development. *My advice would be this: take
> bond and angle parameters from our libraries, decide on charges for the big
> system, then create a stripped-down, tiny system and try to develop the
> torsion parameters for the pyrrole :: ethanethiol interface.* In what
> follows I'm providing detailed instructions to carry out that idea.
>
> First, take bond and bond angle parameters straight from ff14SB or GAFF,
> using Carlos's logic: these parameters are derived prior to charge fitting
> and can, in most protocols, be taken as given. They're also more
> consistent across different atom types ({2C, CT, 3C}-CT-N, etc.)--the
> different atom types largely come from our efforts to get increasingly
> accurate torsions in slightly different chemical situations, but when we do
> that we typically just clone the bond and bond angle parameters from their
> root types (2C, 3C, and CX are all from CT). Just find the best matches
> you can based on your chemical intuition, probably based on the ff14SB
> [...]

Aditya G. Rao
PhD Student
Fritz Haber Research Center for Molecular Dynamics
Institute of Chemistry, HUJI
Givat Ram, Jerusalem, Israel