Re: [AMBER] MCPB

From: Pengfei Li <ambermailpengfei.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 12:42:27 -0400

Hi Fabricio,

> On Jun 29, 2016, at 3:00 PM, Fabrício Bracht <fabracht1.gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not sure what you meant by "the most active site model you will make an
> optimization and then perform a charge calculation". The large model has no
> optimization flags in it, and so, "optimization is performed only on the
> most external part of the system under study" does not seem to be valid.
> Charge calculation for the large model is performed with the system as it
> is. The coordinates are exactly the same before and after the simulation.
> I had the same problem a few years back using MCPB. The way I solved it
> back then was performing a geometry optimization on the large complex as
> well. But the question is: Is the optimization of the large model prior to
> charge calculation a valid option?
> How will it affect charged derivation
> from the RESP procedure later on?

Yeah. It is a valid option. But care should be taken for checking whether the large model structure after optimization changed a lot. If there is a large conformation change, partial optimization is suggested (only optimize the hydrogen position, there is a variable in MCPB.py called large_opt, see page 289 of the manual: http://ambermd.org/doc12/Amber16.pdf <http://ambermd.org/doc12/Amber16.pdf>, can be used for this purpose).

Kind regards,
Pengfei