Re: [AMBER] Distorted and clumped structures after cpptraj average structure calculation

From: David A Case <david.case.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 08:10:49 -0400

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016, Prayagraj Fandilolu wrote:

> trajin md.crd
> average 2180-2500.pdb pdb start 2180 stop 2500 .1-66

> The pdb which I get after processing shows much more overlapped and
> distorted structure.

Calculating an average structure without first doing some sort of rms
fit (to remove overall translation and rotational motion) will always
lead to bad behavior.

> What input should I design so as to get clear average structures with no
> distortions?

You will never get average structures with "no" distortions: an average
structure is always distorted to some extent. Many people look for the
snapshot that is closest to the average, and use that for further analysis.

...dac