Re: [AMBER] membrane potential

From: Dickson, Callum J <callum.dickson09.imperial.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 18:04:06 +0000

Hi Balaji,

I know that Helmut Grubmuller et al have been doing 'computational electrophysiology' with a modified version of gromacs, however currently there is no similar routine available in amber.

What you could try with amber is the double bilayer approach, where you set up two membranes with an ion imbalance on either side creating an ion gradient and thus transmembrane potential, see papers from Andrey Gurtovenko. However the potential will only exist until either the ions move through your membrane protein or through the membrane itself to equilibrate the imbalance (if the potential is too high the ions may actually cause a rupture of the membrane creating a water pore).

Cheers,
Callum