Re: [AMBER] Amber 14 w/ CUDA - unclear "make test"-errors

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 08:03:19 -0500

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 7:36 AM, Falko Jähnert <
falko.jaehnert.biochemtech.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Dear Amberlings,
>

> at first, thanks a lot helping me out with my last problem „Howto cpptraj -
> multiple trajin-commands in one line“. @Jean-Marc Billod: I did it your way
> and this works just fine!
>

> Now I’ve got a little concern about the results of my installation of Amber
> 14. The make test-procedure at the parallel installation level (both with 2
> and 4 threads) went through without a single error, even without rounding
> mistakes. After that i’ve compiled Amber 14 the usual way to gather
> CUDA-support. Now the make test produce some rounding errors which are okay
> (I hope), but also errors where lines one of the compared files (*.diff)
> are
> inserted and thus produce a lot of differences. If one compares the numbers
> of the correctly aligned lines then everything is fine (I hope – again with
> some rounding errors). To understand my problem better I attached the *log-
> and the *.diff-files which are shortened to display only the unclear diffs.
>

> Can I ignore this diffs safely? If not, may someone provide any information
> handling this problem?

​This is a known deficiency in the CUDA testing infrastructure. All of the
larger failures (i.e., that are not round-off) arise from stochastic
methods (ntt=2 or ntt=3) where the random number stream is different on
every GPU.

While there is a way to fix it (and it is on the to-do list), it apparently
hasn't been important enough to make it to the top yet.

HTH,

BioMaPS,
Rutgers University
Postdoctoral Researcher